9.24.2010

Buckling Down or Under

So, we have a saying in our house when the stress builds up and the deadline is approaching. We say it's time to "buckle under." My husband said this a few years ago to a fellow PhD student who was preparing to take his oral exams--as words of encouragement. But my husband is good at getting common sayings wrong. I don't know for sure, but sometimes I think it's completely on purpose. In this case, of course he meant to say to his friend that it was time to "buckle down." It seems to me that when it's time to buckle down, it's usually a time I'm prone to buckle under as well.

That would be me right now. In my last semester of my graduate degree. Facing up to everything I didn't really learn over the past five years, but was supposed to. I'm about to buckle down and/or buckle under (is it possible to do both?). I know it will end. And I know that when it ends I will feel about 50% better about my life. But sometimes I'd just rather pass out under the pressure so I can no longer be responsible for what does or doesn't get done.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I suppose "buck up" is also a choice . . .

Sometimes enduring is the hardest thing one can do. As I frequently remind myself, the amazing thing about time is that it does not stop. It will carry me forward through and past the now I am in.